Tuesday, July 19

Hungry Girl Lunch: Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I was going to make this for dinner last week, but the potatoes went bad before I could make it :(
This is probably the most involved recipe from Hungry Girl I've made so far. Not that it was hard, just a lot to manage at one time. If I had the bacon and potatoes pre-cooked it would have been much easier.

Soup Ingredients:
  • 1 large potato (I used 3 small-medium)
  • 2 Tbs chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 3c fat free chicken broth
  • 1c light plain soy milk (I used my lactaid)
  • 1/4c all purpose flour
  • 2Tbs shredded fat free cheddar cheese
  • 2Tbs fat free sour cream
  • 1Tbs precooked crumbled bacon
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 3/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper (I ended up adding more pepper)
Toppings:
  • For each bowl of soup: 1 tsp each shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced scallions; 1/2 tsp crumbled bacon
Directions:
  • cook potato (pierce with fork and microwave about 8 minutes) and bacon
  • remove skin of potato and mash in a bowl (leave some chunks)
  • cook onion and garlic on medium high heat (i used some light olive oil) until onion is soft
  • add broth and milk; slowly add flour and whisk until dissolved
  • add potato and remaining ingredients, mix well, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes
  • ladle into bowls and add toppings
This is definitely NOT Outback's baked potato soup, but I'm sure it doesn't have anywhere NEAR the calories either. 1/5th of the recipe (including toppings) is ONLY 130 calories! With 1g fat, 564mg sodium, 22g carbs, 2g fiber, 2.5g sugar, and 7.5g protein.

The soup, once the toppings were added, was actually pretty tasty. I think I'll keep this recipe around. It would be especially nice on a cold winter night... mmm...

On deck for tonight: Buffalo Chicken Wing Macaroni and Cheese.

Check out all the Hungry Girl recipes I'm making here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!