Wednesday, July 13

Hungry Girl Night 2- Super Delicious Shrimp Scampi with Fettuccini

(This is recipe 2 of my 2 week Hungry Girl dinners. You can check in on all my Hungry Girl dinners here)

This super fast dish is a complete meal, in a large portion. You have to like lemon to like this dish. I do, and I really liked the buttery-lemony broth that was left over at the bottom of the bowl. I could have sopped that up with some nice french bread... but that is not part of the meal (and I didn't have any calories left in my day for it anyway) and I didn't have it. Now I know for next time.

 Ingredients:
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 bags Tofu Shirataki Fettuccini noodle substitute
  • 1/4 chopped onion
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 8oz shrimp (peeled and deveined)
  • I plum tomato, chopped
  • 2Tbs light butter
  • 2tsp reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese
You may be asking yourself: What are Tofu Shirataki Noodles? 
 They are soft noodles made of tofu. I had never seen them before, But they are used in a lot of Hungry Girl recipes. So, after not seeing them in the tofu section of my grocery store, I turned to Google to find out where to buy these. Looking at their store locator website, I found out the noodles were sold at the grocery right around the corner from my house! And the best part: they are only $1 a bag!

Directions:
  • drain, rinse, dry (with paper towel) and cut up noodles
  • cook onion and garlic on medium heat until softened. Add shrimp and tomato. Cook until shrimp are opaque (not completely cooked through)
  • Add juice of 1/2 lemon, cook for about 1 minute
  • raise heat to medium high, add noodles, mix well, cook until shrimp are cooked through
  • Add butter, stir, plate the fettuccine.
  • top with parmesan, garnish with wedges of the remaining 1/2 lemon
This recipe serves 2. Each serving is 238 calories, 8.5g fat, 329mg sodium, 14g carbs, 5g fiber, 2g sugar, and 26g protein.

I'll admit, dealing with the tofu noodles was a little slimy, and they reminded me of a tapeworm. But when I was eating, I kind of forgot they weren't real pasta noodles.

As for the overall flavor of the dish, it was a little bland and really benefited from additional salt and pepper.

Tomorrow's dinner: Baked Potato Soup (YUM!)

2 comments:

  1. So do you wish it was real pasta or was it ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't mind, because it tasted fine. It was only the texture when I was rinsing the noodles that got to me, but the texture was fine when I was eating.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!