Friday, July 22

Hungry Girl Finale: Rockin' Creamy Broc 'n Chicken

This is the final night in my two week Hungry Girl dinner series. This weekend we will be out of town, then I'm going to the beach with my mom, sister, and my sister's 2 babies (yes a 2 year old is still a baby to me). You can check out all the recipes I made here.

Yet another super easy to make, chop-dump-stir-serve recipe. Dinner will be on the table in 30 minutes or less!

Ingredients:
  • 2 bags Tofu Shirataki spaghetti noodle substitute (I used Barilla Whole Grain shell pasta, and added 200 more calories to the dish)
  • 8 ounces raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
  • 1c chopped broccoli
  • 3/4c sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2c chopped red pepper
  • 1/2c chopped onion
  • 1tsp chopped garlic
  • 2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss
  • 2 Tbs fat free sour cream
  • 1Tbs parmesan
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  • if using the noodle substitute- rinse, drain, dry, and cut; if using regular pasta- cook until aldente and set aside
  • cook chicken in large skillet on medium high until opaque (season with S&P)
  • add all veggies (season with S&P), stir, and cook until veggies are tender and chicken is fully cooked
  • place cheese wedges in microwave for 20 seconds, add sour cream and mix until smooth
  • add noodles/pasta and cheese mixture to skillet; stir until combined.
  • serve and top with parmesan
Each serving (1/2 the recipe) is 277 calories (unless you use real pasta like me) 5.5g fat, 722mg sodium, 21.5g carbs, 7g fiber, 6.5g sugar, 34.5g protein.

What I've learned from making these Hungry Girl dishes:
  •  cooking a complete meal doesn't have to be hard
  • many dished can be thrown into a pot or pan with little effort
  • taking the simple recipes, like the OMG Burger, and changing it with a different ingredient or two can make really good food.
  • while I won't be making dinner from this cookbook EVERY night, I will definitely be returning to it in the future.
And that's the end of my 2 week diet dinner plan. What did you think? Would you make any of these recipes? Do you have a Hungry Girl cookbook already? Do you have any suggestions for other low-cal/ balanced meals?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting these recipes! I have always seen the Hungry Girl books, but am always a little hesistant because I am such a picky eater, but I love these recipes you've shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked them, they were all very good. If you're a picky eater I would not recommend using the Tofu Noodle Substitutes, but the recipes would work well with pasta too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!