Thursday, July 21

Recipe Linky Party

Clutter Free Classroom is hosting a linky party about recipes made frequently during the school year. I thought it was a perfect time to join in because I have been documenting all of my Hungry Girl dinners over that past 2 weeks.

I have to be honest, I don't cook as much during the school year because I am so exhausted by the time I get home. Last year was horrible because Adam and I ordered in a lot (Chinese mostly). Well we are trying to eat healthier and I tried thinking of of what I cook in the winter months- comfort food- that I take the left-overs for lunch to school.

A super easy veggie chili is an option; Sorry I don't usually measure this out- just dump and heat

Ingredients:
  • olive oil
  • chopped carrots, onions, celery, garlic
  • canned tomatoes (with green chilies is preffered)
  • canned beans (I use a can of white and a can of red)
  • cumin and chili powder
  • shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
  • heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan
  • add veggies and cook until soft
  • add canned tomatoes, beans, and spices
  • cook until the right thickness (I like it thin, over rice; Adam likes it super thick on its own)
  • serve and top with cheddar
That's it- very simple. If you don't like chilli I also make a super easy lasagna (another thing I don't really measure, I've made it so often):
Ingredients:
  • no boil lasagna noodles (this is key for making the recipe super fast)
  • tomato sauce
  • ricotta cheese (1 small container- 8oz?)
  • 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1c spinach (I use the frozen, then thawed and drained kind)
  • 1tsp each- onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes
Directions:
  • Pre-Heat oven to 350
  • mix spinach, ricotta, egg, and spices together
  • in baking pan begin to layer the lasagna- sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella- I end up with about 2 layers of each
  • Cover in foil and bake for 15 minutes; uncover and bake for 20-25 minutes more until bubbly and gooey
 So there are two of my school night recipes. Don't forget to check out the Linky Party! I can't wait to see what everyone else cooks up on those busy nights!

Clutter-Free Classroom

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you think!